This is wonderful recipe that is hearty, full of delicious vegetables and makes a great week-day meal for your family. It’s a great twist on the usual pasta with marinara. I’ve been meaning to try it over quinoa too!
2 cans (14.5oz) Italian-seasons diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy)
2 lbs bone-in country style pork ribs
1/2 lb zucchini, diced (about 2 zucchini)
1 lb whole wheat bow-tie or rotini pasta
1 cup shredded reduced fat Italian cheese blend or grated parmesan (whatever you prefer).
1. Coat slow cooker with non stick cooking spray. Add UNDRAINED tomatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
3. Add ribs and spoon tomato mixture over them to cover. Nestle into the sauce. Scatter zucchini over the top.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
5. Remove ribs and shred the meat. Discard the bones and stir shredded meat back into sauce and add remaining salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cook pasta according to directions and serve pork ragu over pasta with a sprinkle of cheese on top and a side salad.
Enjoy! Let us know what you think!
Makes about 6-8 servings and you should have sauce left to freeze for a second meal later.